Monday, January 4, 2016

Running as Fast as I can

I feel like I am chasing technology.  What with phones, computers and even TVs.  

My Mom has sort of been wanting a smart phone.  She has an older style phone.  She gets envious that I can text, take pictures, surf the web, etc and she can't do that.  HOWEVER, I asked her who she would do that with other than me.  She is 81.  She didn't know because many of her friends use their cell phones as she does, emergency.  She never has it on.  She has had the phone for 7 or 8 years and still doesn't know how to retrieve messages.  We have showed her numerous times.  How the heck is she going to learn an IPhone?  Of course you realize I would have to teach her.  I have had IPhone's for a long time and I like them but I don't use it to its full advantage.  I don't know all the special things it does.  I set it up to do Apple Pay but I have yet to use it.  Running to keep up there.

I had to get a new laptop a year ago, That forced me into Windows 8 and then Windows 10. The first time I turned on Windows 8, I cried.  I admit it, tears actually rolled down my cheeks.  I thought, I will never figure this out.  Thank goodness I bought a laptop with a touch screen or I really would have been in trouble.  The "hovering" thing to get the start screen to start up was absolutely horrible.  I learned it, I got it, I figured it out....then....My Mom's computer died.  I had to teach her.  That was a struggle and trust me, there were lots of tears.  Thank goodness for Windows 10, it solved some of that crazy stuff.  Mom learned it, I learned it and we are back on an even keel...pretty much.  Although sometimes, "I swear I didn't push anything" she says and the screen has somehow done something really weird.  

My husband wanted to get a new receiver as ours decided that it was no longer going to do surround sound.  He ordered a new one and installed it over the holidays, our present to each other.  I am so glad he understands all that because I would be bald from pulling my hair out.  This is the back of the unit.
 seriously, if that isn't gobbledygook I don't know what is.  After searching the internet and a couple of days, we finally have all the components talking to each other and the sound working for all of them but trust me it wasn't easy.

So don't ask me how to do anything because truly I am going as fast as I can to keep up.

3 comments:

Ssjarchon said...

You can always ask me. Google is your friend.

Ssjarchon said...

You can always ask me. Google is your friend.

ellen abbott said...

I could use a new computer since mine is 6, maybe 7 years old. I could upgrade the OS but my husband got a new computer last year and has the OS and no thank you. he cursed for a week having to relearn everything.